Thursday, August 21, 2008

Celebrations.....

It is my 60th birthday today.........ecstatic to have made it this far!!! :-)
Because of this auspicious event....I have been honoured, nay thrilled to have had visitors over the last weekend and a bit.
We were (at least I was!!) totally surprised when T&D showed up at 1am on Saturday morning to stay until Monday. What a treat!!! They have not been here since August 2006 just before they left for Massachusetts. It was a glorious weekend....full of good food, excellent conversation, good wine and in general just "hangin' out" stuff. Unfortunately, due to schedules, new jobs etc....J & C couldn't make the trip, but we were able to chat with them on the phone on Saturday.

The four of them gave me the "Jamie at Home" cookbook from Jamie Oliver and a new set of Heinkel knives....oh so sharp and easy to use!!! I also received some lovely goodies from D's mom and dad, totally tailored to my personality (they are beginning to know me so well :-)).

So, on Saturday, T found two scrumptious salad recipes in the new cookbook and proceeded to dazzle us with her culinary skills. Along with marinated lamb, beef, and chicken BBQ'd on skewers, it was all very tasty. We also indulged in champagne and blackberry liqueur and delish Desert Hills wine...Chardonnay and Gamay.....sigh....it was superb!!!

On Sunday we headed down to LacLeJeune to swim in the lake and lie on the grass and in general just have a pickynick and relax in the sun (and shade). When we got back we all kind of vegged for a while, napping etc...and then headed out for a wonderful dinner at The Storm Restaurant on the river to celebrate T&D's 5th anniversary. They are just so cool together.....
After that it was back to the patio to drink more wine and talk some more. Our patio got used more this trip than ever and it was great. Our neighbours must have wondered what the gales of laughter were coming from our back yard at midnight.....

All in all, a perfect celebratory weekend.....

And then.....
On Tuesday, our old neighbours from Langley arrived on their way through to Saskatchewan and we spent the afternoon and evening together and they stayed overnight heading out Wednesday morning. Lots of use of the patio here as well. Our dinner was bbq'd pork loin chops (thick, lean, boneless) along with fresh made pesto.... my special recipe which I just make on the fly with basil from the garden (assorted varieties), garlic, extra virgin olive oil, parmesan, mizythra, and feta cheeses, and walnuts (I just couldn't find the pine nuts) and a dash of balsamic vinegar. I never use specific quantities, just all to taste, but it made quite a bit and was excellent with fusilli pasta.....and a mixed green salad with chopped cucumber and tomatoes on the side...using assorted organic dressings.
We then had a french white wine and a home made Shiraz and Cab Sauv. I think we finally hit the hay around 11:30.

So we have been taking things easy since then and tonite my DH is taking me out to an as-yet unknown restaurant for dinner for the birthday celebration. Exciting to say the least!!!

As I mentioned to DH....it seems that as we get closer to J & C's wedding our life seems to be getting busier and busier.....I can't imagine what their life is like....although they do give me updates fairly regularly. It's not that our lives are ACTUALLY busy...it just seems that way...probably because I'm living vicariously through them in their preparations.....

It will all come together on September 5th....I have faith !!

...and then it's off to Osoyoos to unwind for a week before the symphony season starts again.

For now though....it's all about today!!!

Slainte!!

No comments: